On my parenting blog today I wrote about my first ever due date. None of my kids were born anywhere near their due dates. Doctors may as well have tossed darts at a calendar!
As I wrote, I recalled many of the things that other people did that enraged me. Maybe there should be a guide to dealing with pregnant women? Oh okay, I'll compile a list. Please feel free to add:
1. DO NOT TOUCH! This belly is not Buddha. Rubbing it does not bring you luck. It's attractive, I know, a beacon begging for your grubby hands. You must resist. One day someone is going to rub a pregnant belly and pull back a bloody stump instead of their full arm. It ranks up there as justifiable homicide and if there were any mercy in the world, the case will come before a judge who has been pregnant with no toleration for being touched.
2. Keep it above the bellybutton. If you get permission to rub the belly (and do ask before attempting to touch), stay ABOVE the bellybutton (easy to spot as no shirt properly hides the damn thing). I had some creepy looking dude walk up to me in the mall with barely a hello before he started rubbing the Buddha and went too low and it nearly became gynecological.
3. Due Dates. It's relatively safe to ask when the baby is due and discuss preparations of the baby room. DO NOT ask "haven't you delivered yet?" Seriously? Big belly = NO BABY. Your sarcasm is not funny and not welcome. Don't drip with sympathy either. Hey, let's talk about the weather, what you cooked for dinner last night, work, the space shuttle, status of the Euro, you know, anything BUT the fact that the pregnancy has not yet concluded?
4. Gender. Really, who cares if it is a boy or a girl or what the happy couple is wanting this go around? We're not living in a culture focused on producing male heirs so move on, okay? If it's a boy, it's a boy, if it's a girl, it's a girl. All anyone wants is a healthy, happy baby. Just erase that gender question out of your mind. Let's discuss names, okay?
5. Horror Stories. STOP! I'm guilty, I know and now I try really really hard to never bring it up. People, especially pregnant women, do not want the gory details of your sister's vomit-filled, miserable pregnancy or your coworker's long, excruciating delivery. This is a female version of war stories. The more gruesome, the better. And each telling gets grosser. Oddly, with several women in the gaggle, it turns into a game as to who has the most harrowing pregnancy and delivery story. It's bad. Really bad and nothing a man or first-timer ever wants to hear. It will scare young women right into a nunnery. For life.
6. Delivery Details. Don't feed the above beast. No one needs to know her plans for epidural or how the last visit went or plans for breastfeeding. All of these questions are lead-ins for the inquisitor to share their opinions of how the pregnant woman should proceed. It's none of your business and if she truly wanted your input, she would have asked. Right?
7. Advice. Keep it to yourself. If new momma wants your opinions, suggestions or ideas she will ask. Until then, get a blog and post it there. Be the person who treats her like a human not a walking incubator. She will love you for all eternity.
8. "When are you going to have your next one?" REALLY? No one is trying for a Duggar clan, give it a rest. This may be the one and only, or the last. None of which, is your damn business. This is a conversation strictly between husband and wife (or significant others or whatever their arrangement is). If you are the grandparent, just appreciate the little bundle already in your arms. If the couple never copulates ever again, IT.IS.NONE.OF.YOUR.BUSINESS. Get the hell out of their bedroom, because that's what your questions mean, you vicious butt-insky.
Okay, this list ought to be longer, but I have to go to work so I can pay for my internet connection and feed my blog addiction. Add your suggestions in the comments and I'll edit the list accordingly.
From SkippyMom: Dear relative [Mom, MIL, sister] or BFF, If I tell you I only want my husband in the delivery room please do not act butthurt. It isn't personal. Honest. Next to making the kid this is the most private time of our lives and I have enough of an audience as it is. Sorry other moms allow it - we don't.
seriously- you should publish this and a lot others all over the world...:) Had me laughing, but thinking too bad the truth hurts...I had a guy rub my belly one time..my husband couldnt believe I smacked his hand and told him not to touch me. REALLY. He was a random man, and it alarmed me quite a bit. I got the attention of a police man and he took the guy as far from me as he could. :)
ReplyDeleteI didn't mind if someone would ASK to touch my belly [the guys at work were especially cute & respectful] BUT whenever a stranger reached out I did this:
ReplyDeleteI would grab their wrist [FIRMLY] and move their hand away. And when they looked shocked or said "I just wanted to touch" I would look them straight in the eye and say "No. You will wake her up. She just feel asleep."
Never failed - because woman that had never been pregnant didn't get it and were perplexed by it, woman that had been pregnant knew what I was talking about [I hope!] and men thought it was weird and scurried away. LOL
I respectfully disagree with the "What do you want" question tho' - yes, yes everyone wants a healthy baby - but I find, for the most part, people absolutely have a preference but always fall back to "Just a healthy baby". People have their preference.
And I would like to add one - Dear relative [Mom, MIL, sister] or BFF, If I tell you I only want my husband in the delivery room please do not act butthurt. It isn't personal. Honest. Next to making the kid this is the most private time of our lives and I have enough of an audience as it is. Sorry other moms allow it - we don't.
Oh I know people have a preference about the gender, but people will ARGUE with you about it. How dare them! You have your reasons and if you choose to share so be it, but it's intrusive to ask. Me, I'll tell you everything, but it was one of those questions that always rubbed me the wrong way.
ReplyDeleteAnd you are dead on about people in the delivery room. I figure the guy who put the baby there and the one who confirmed it was there were sufficient. I did ask my mom, but she would have been okay with the waiting room (okay, no she wouldn't but there wouldn't have been a blow up about it) I truly wanted her there.
I love the shirt comment. By the end of my last pregnancy it was like all my shirts were 80's half-shirts. very stylin'
ReplyDeletealso thank you for the MIL letter. seriously. i do not need you looking at me doped up and exposed thank you very much!
What a great post! I'll never be pregnant so I am fascinated by all things pregnancy-related. The one I know (as someone who will always be on the outside looking in, in terms of pregnancy) is: "Never assume a woman is pregnant unless you actually see the baby crowning."
ReplyDeleteI always wait to be told about a pregancy before saying anything. I would hate to be the one who asked about a due date only to hear "no, I'm just fat." EEEEEE!!!
I'm having a giveaway for my followers... you should stop by! :o)
Picture Imperfect Follower Giveaway
I had a neighbor ask if I was pregnant - UM NO! She was all embarrassed and apologized profusely over and over.
ReplyDeleteyeah, two weeks later I found out she was right. We laughed over it. I guess I was exuding SOMETHING afterall!