Some fabric is just meant to go together. The colors and patterns mesh perfectly. I will flip and twist piles of fabric to find a perfect match, but some just jump into my hand. This is probably my favorite part of quilting - playing with the fabric, finding those matches.
This was a denim colored cotton and a pale pink with little denim diamonds. These two sat side-by-side in my collection waiting for a quilt, I knew they were destined to be together. I don't remember where I found the pattern, but I cut it out of my own design based on something I saw elsewhere. I'm always fascinated by floor tiles, seeing quilt possibilities and I think that's where it came from - someone's bathroom floor.
Like many of my quilts, the core of the quilt top was assembled quickly and then sat for several years waiting for some sort of inspiration. When it did arrive, the quilt was finished in a matter of hours.
The border was from fabric that I detested. It was a hideous combination of pink and blue flowers on a brown background. When I held it up to the pink and denim it just meshed and stopped being ugly. I also had a little bit of bunny rabbit print, surely something I found in the remnant bin (my most favorite place of any fabric store!).
It was the first time I tinkered with the border, making it pieced instead of full strips of bland fabric. I'm totally infatuated with doing borders this way and it will be found on many more quilts as I move forward.
This quilt also has more of the bunny fabric appliqued in the middle of the quilt, and I think I did some on the back too, but I don't exactly remember if I did that or not. I don't applique much, but it just screamed for it.

Isn't it funny how the fabric ceased being ugly to you when you found its true purpose?
ReplyDeleteI liken that to when you meet someone you think is not good looking, but after you get to know them, if you like them, they start to look better?
My older daughter's room is done in those color [browns and pink] and I just love them. I made her a similar color mix duvet cover.
ReplyDeleteI just love the pic' - y'all are so cute and the quilt is gorgeous.
Pretty quilt....love the colors.
ReplyDelete